Monday, December 19, 2011

Peach Pork and Mashed Red Potatoes



My favorite cut of pork is the tenderloin and it goes great with a fruit sauce.  First I start by heating a skillet on medium high, once it's hot, I place the pork tenderloin on the hot skillet and sear it on all four sides, about a minute per side, you know it's seared when it releases easily from the pan.  Once all four sides are seared, place the pork in an oven safe casserole dish and put it in the oven at 350 deg.  I like to cook my pork to 155 deg, I use a thermometer on the inside of the pork.  I take it out at 155 deg internal temperature and let it rest and the temperature will rise to 160 deg, once it's at 160 deg, I slice and serve the pork.  While the pork is in the oven, I make the sauce in the skillet that I seared the pork in.  Once I remove the pork, I add a whole diced onion and cook it until it's translucent.  Once the onion is cooked, I add a whole clove of diced garlic.  Then I add some kind of beer or wine.  This one I used a peach Belgium beer to deglaze the pan, about a cup full.  Once the pan has been deglazed, I add a pint of water and one chicken bouillon cube, but you could also use 16 ounces of chicken stock.  I just let the sauce simmer and reduce while the pork is cooking.  Once the consistency is good, I reduce the heat to low and just keep adding the beer or wine or water to keep it the right consistency until the pork is ready.  I like to drink the wine or beer I cooked the pork with.

For an easy side dish, I peeled and rough chopped 2 pounds of red potatoes, added them to cold water, brought the pot to a boil and cooked them until done.  I drained them and then mashed them and added some milk, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic, just enough for the right flavor and consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment