Thursday, January 3, 2013

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork





Started with a 5 lb pound pork shoulder, also know as boston butt, cut of pork.  I let it brine all day in a mixture of salt, brown sugar, and water, and I used enough water to just completely cover the pork shoulder.  Once it had been in the brine for 12 hours, I patted it dry and added a dry rub all over, made from dry mustard, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.  If you are going to use a dry rub and brine, use less salt.  I used the correct amount of salt for a pork brine of that size and a dry rub, but if you are using the two together, it can be too salty.  My pork definitely came out over salted.  I slowed cooked it in the oven overnight at 200 degF in my oven, with the pork in a dutch oven, uncovered.  Once the inside temperature of the pork reached 175 degF, I turned off the oven without opening the door and let the pork rest for 2 hours in the hot oven as it cooled down.  Once the pork had completed resting, I pulled it apart using two forks and removed the bone.  Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment